Liver Health Clinic
All diagnostics are done on site, in one location.
The CMH Regional Liver Health Centre accepts physician referrals from within the Region of Waterloo and Wellington County for the purpose of providing patients with diagnosis, treatment and management of advanced liver disease.
This may include conditions such as advanced cirrhosis, acute hepatitis, and metabolic-associated fatty liver disease, among other liver disorders. Dietitian and RN consults are also available to complement medical services.
Liver Disease in Canada: A National Health Crisis
- 1 in 4 Canadians may be affected by liver disease
- An Ontarian born in 1990 has a 116% higher chance of developing cirrhosis in their lifetime compared to someone born in 1951
- As of 2012, the prevalence of cirrhosis in Ontario was estimated to be 120 per 10,000 population
- This translates to about 10,000 patients with cirrhosis in WWLHIN
- The incidence of cirrhosis is also increasing significantly as well…
This clinic is the start to our vision of establishing a much needed regional liver health network. Planned enhancements include new diagnostic equipment and a region-wide intake system connecting the patient with the next available specialist.
We are grateful for the support and investment from the Lyle S. Hallman Foundation as they were an early catalyst in advancing the opening of the Liver Health Clinic. Their commitment plays a vital role in strengthening local health care for residents, providing them with access to quality care close to home.
The Liver Health Clinic comprises a multidisciplinary team including:
- Social Work
The following services are provided:
- Hepatologist consult for the diagnosis, treatment and management of liver disease
- Screening, prevention and management of advanced liver disease (e.g., Cirrhosis)
- Dietitian and RN consults/services for MAFLD (metabolic associated fatty liver disease) and NAFLD (non-alcoholic fatty liver disease)
- Management and monitoring of patients with acute Hepatitis
Your "To Do" List for the visit:
- Patient Registration and Health Card: Please enter at the Main Entrance (Wing A) and register at Patient Registration with your health card prior to any testing/appointment.
- Medictions: Bring your medications, including over-the-counter-medications and supplements, to each appointment. Keeping an up-to-date list of your medications can be helpful.
- Ultrasound: If you were instructed to have an ultrasound done, please proceed to Diagnostic Imaging registration and have ultrasound done prior to coming to Liver Health Clinic appointment
- Lab Work:If you were instructed to have bloodwork done, please proceed to the outpatient lab before coming to the Liver Health Clinic appointment.
Click here for a printable version of this To Do list
Please bring any personal assistive devices that you require for your appointment. For example, any communication or mobility device you may need like a walker, hearing aid, etc.
Kindly note that CMH has a no scent policy. Refrain from using or wearing perfumes, scented deodorants and scented products before coming to hospital.
Sandy Bakewell, Manager Medical Day Clinic, Liver Health Clinic, Ambulatory Clinics - ext. 3064
April McColluch Director Medical Programs - ext. 2402
Share your Feedback
We're always looking to improve our website. If you have a question, comment or suggestion, please share it using the Website Feedback Form below. We appreciate your feedback.
Referring Physicians and Nurse Practitioners: Please make all Liver Health Clinic referrals through the Ocean portal to ensure referrals are received and scheduled in a timely manner. Alternatively, if you do not have access to Ocean, you may fax the referral form in the Resources section below to 519-629-3801.
Please note that only referral forms completed in entirety will be processed.
Appointments by referral only. All patients that have an appointment must first register in Patient Registration - see below.
Patient Registration - Wing A, Level 1 (next to Main Entrance)
Park in Lot #2
Liver Health Clinic - Wing C, Level 2
Phone: 519-621-2333 ext. 3505
Schedule: Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. (excluding holidays)