Surgical Services: Surgical Day Care
Surgical Day Care is the area in the hospital where patients requiring surgery will register and
be prepared for surgery. Depending on the procedure, some patients will require an overnight
stay (inpatients), while others will be able to return home the same day (outpatients).
Endoscopy is the term used for a test in which a tube with a viewing camera is inserted to view organs without making a cut. Endoscopy clinics offer examination of the digestive tract and lungs. The intestines are viewed during a colonoscopy by inserting the viewing instrument through the rectum. The lungs are examined by inserting a bronchoscope through the mouth; and by using another instrument through the mouth the stomach can be examined. The physician is able to view the organs and take samples of tissue when necessary, which means you may be able to avoid further surgery. These tests help diagnose various diseases of the stomach, bowels and lungs.
Our services include Minor Procedures where minor surgery, joint injections and examinations are performed
The Urology clinic offers examination of the bladder using a scope (cystoscopy).
- Follow the instructions given by your surgeon.
- Bathe the morning of surgery. Remove make-up, nail polish
- Remove jewelry and all body piercings, including earrings.
- Wear casual, loose fitting clothing and flat shoes.
- Leave all personal items, large sums of money, credit cards and valuables such as earrings and watches at home. We will not take possession of personal items and therefore cannot be responsible for lost or stolen valuables.
Please bring the following to your appointment:
- Health Card
- Medications in their original packaging and a complete medication list from your pharmacy., including over the counter medications and herbal remedies
- Personal assistive devices that you require for your appointment. For example, any communication or mobility device you many need like a walker, hearing aid, etc.
- A bag to hold your clothing
- A denture cup for dentures
- Sanitary products for gynecological surgery
- If you are staying in the hospital overnight bring a housecoat, slippers, toothpaste, toothbrush, shampoo, tissues, shaving supplies and reading material
- Secondary insurance information, if you want a semi-private or private room
CMH has a no scent policy. Please do not use scented products like perfumes and scented soaps before you come to hospital.
You must arrange for a responsible adult to pick you up in Surgical Day Care, accompany you home and stay with you overnight or at least be available to call if necessary.
Your surgery may be cancelled if these arrangements are not made. Please leave a phone number for staff to call the person when you are ready to go home.